Join us for the 12th Annual USAW, where Utah’s avalanche community will team up with snow professionals from around the west to share avalanche knowledge. Regional avalanche workshops are the most time and cost-effective way to build and refresh advanced avalanche skills available. This is your chance to learn from avalanche experts and brush up your skills before the start of the season.
This is a high-level continuing education opportunity meant to give the avalanche community access to the latest and greatest information. This is the only avalanche workshop in Utah addressing snow science, decision-making, the changing backcountry, and lessons learned from recent accidents.
You’ll learn from and network with forecasters, patrollers, snow scientists, highway avalanche crews, search & rescue personnel, mountain guides, ski industry manufacturers, backcountry skiers & snowboarders, snowmobilers, avalanche researchers, and more. The format will be 15-minute presentations followed by Q&A. There will be sponsor booths with the latest gear and gear giveaways.
Pre-registration closes on Wednesday, October 30th at noon. After that, you can get tickets for $55 at the door. Lunch, coffee/beverage service, and post-workshop happy hour are included. Ticket cancellations will incur a $15 cancellation fee.
Once again this year we will have a session focused on snowmobiler and snowbiker issues. Details and registration here.
The Friday, November 1st professional session will include a Blaster's Clinic, Risk Management Clinic, and technical topics. Details and registration here.
The Open Session will run from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM followed by a social hour.
Open Session Details:
- Date: Saturday, November 2
- Time: 9:00 AM - 5:45 PM
- Location: Mountain America Expo Center, 9575 State St, Sandy, UT 84070
Challenges With an Unconventional Snowpack in an Intermountain Climate:
- Atmospheric Rivers - Brian McInerny, National Weather Service
- So, Tell Me…How Does This All Work? - UDOT
- Confidence Versus Competence - Dave Richards, Alta
- Betting Your Life…Why Avalanche Forecasting is Poker, Not Chess - Jenna Malone, Wasatch Powderbird Guides, Alta
- Utah Winter Review - Craig Gordon, Trent Meisenheimer, UAC
- MOAB - Mother of all Basal Weak Layers - Eric Trenbeath, UAC
- The Dog Days of Winter - Andrew VanHouten, PCMR
- It Ain’t Vegas….It’s Worse - Craig Gordon, UAC
Decisions… Decisions. Determining Your Personal Risk Tolerance:
- Close call in Cardiac Bowl - Mark, Claudia
- Green Light Days - Drew Hardesty, Russ Costa
- Lessons From the Forecast Office to the Field - Evelyn Lees, Mark Staples, and Trent Meisenheimer
What are the odds?
- What to Make With the Pieces Left Behind - Melissa Gill, Lululemon
- Beyond FACETS: Cultivating Backcountry Expertise - Laura Maguire