Open Session Day 3: Thursday, November 12, 2020; 6:30-9:00 PM
Theme: We’re All in This Together
Join us for the 13th Annual USAW, where Utah’s avalanche community will team up with snow professionals from around the west to share avalanche knowledge. Regional avalanche workshops are the most time and cost-effective way to build and refresh advanced avalanche skills available. This is your chance to learn from avalanche experts and brush up your skills before the start of the season.
You’ll learn from forecasters, patrollers, snow scientists, highway avalanche crews, search & rescue personnel, mountain guides, ski industry manufacturers, backcountry skiers & snowboarders, snowmobilers, avalanche researchers, and more. The format will be 15-minute presentations followed by Q&A.
The Open Session will run from 6:30-9:00 PM Tuesday to Thursday, November 10-12. Daily registration is $10 or $25 for the 3 days.
This year's session will be online through Zoom Webinars. After your registration, you will receive a link to the event where you will need to register for your access to the webinar.
Agenda (note - agenda is subject to change):
- 18:30-18:35 - Welcome. Craig Gordon, Utah Avalanche Center
- 18:40-19:00 - Recreate Like a Pro. What information do I look for that allows me to recreate like a pro? Logan Cookler, Backcountry Access/Powderbirds
- 19:05-19:25 - And the Answer Is. What our community survey results say about us. Mark Staples, Utah Avalanche Center
- 19:30-19:50 - You’re Betting Your Life on a Roll of the Dice. Stretching out betting on bets. Jenna Malone, Alta/Powderbirds
- 19:55-20:25 - Putting it all together and creating YOURCAST. Using the local avalanche forecast as part of an avalanche matrix in decision making. Jim Conway, Glisse Media/TGR Safety Consultant
- 20:30-20:50 - Recess is Over. How and why our collective, community skin-in-the-game is different than keyboard high-fives Dave Richards, Alta Avalanche Office and Craig Gordon, Utah Avalanche Center