Location: Alta, Utah
Time: 8:00AM - 12:00PM
This course is offered in part by a grant from Shop In Utah obtained by Alta Community Enrichment. This course is specifically for Alta Employees Only
Recreating in the backcountry is much safer and much more fun when you have an understanding of avalanches and backcountry safety. Nobody wants to be a partner that can't be counted on during a rescue. Spend a day on the snow with the pros to learn how to use your avalanche rescue gear. This clinic teaches you the skills needed to rescue a buried avalanche victim. You learn search techniques and how to effectively use your rescue gear, how to communicate with a group, and work together as a team. We’ll cover common mistakes made during rescues and what to do once a buried partner is uncovered.
Hands-on practice is key when it comes to learning these skills. This course will be spent entirely in the field practicing with your rescue equipment and going through rescue scenarios. We have a 4:1 student to instructor ratio to make sure that each student receives coaching on their technique and the opportunity to run through multiple scenarios.
Who should take this course?
This clinic is for Alta Employees only. This course can be an introduction for those who are new to the backcountry or serve as a refresher for those who do not regularly practice rescue skills and are looking to learn the most up to date rescue techniques.
What is required for this course?For this course, you are required to provide your own avalanche rescue equipment. You’ll need a modern 457 kHz Digital 3-Antenna Transceiver, a collapsable probe 240 cm or longer, a solid collapsible metal shovel, and a backpack to carry your equipment. Make sure that you are familiar with how to assemble your probe and shovel, turn your transceiver on and off, and into search/send modes. We will be moving around on snow so please plan to bring your backcountry touring skis, split board, and skins for uphill travel.
- Be able to perform a full avalanche burial rescue in less than 10 minutes using proper techniques
- Wear & operate an avalanche beacon.
- Perform a mock companion recovery of a single and/or multiple burial search (dependent on personal experience level).
- Understand the challenges involving multiple rescuers and learn basic group management & communication.
- Understand how to continue to practice and improve rescue skills.
- Perform a signal search, coarse search, and fine search.
- Properly demonstrate proper probing techniques.
- Properly demonstrate strategic shoveling techniques.
- Effectively communicate during a rescue with each other.
This course has been subsidized by Alta Community Enrichment and Shop in Utah Grant.
If you have any questions regarding this course please contact: Andy@utahavalanchecenter.org