Join us for the 12th Annual USAW Professional Session, where Utah’s avalanche community will team up with snow professionals from around the west to share avalanche knowledge. Regional avalanche workshops are the most time and cost-effective way to build and refresh advanced avalanche skills available. This is your chance to learn from avalanche experts and brush up your skills before the start of the season.
This is a high-level continuing education opportunity meant to give the avalanche community access to the latest and greatest information. This is the only avalanche workshop in Utah addressing snow science, decision-making, the changing backcountry, and lessons learned from recent accidents.
You’ll learn from and network with forecasters, patrollers, snow scientists, highway avalanche crews, search & rescue personnel, mountain guides, ski industry manufacturers, backcountry skiers & snowboarders, snowmobilers, avalanche researchers, and more. The format will be 15-minute presentations followed by Q&A. There will be sponsor booths with the latest gear and gear giveaways.
Pre-registration closes on Wednesday, October 30th at noon. After that, you can get tickets for $60 at the door. Lunch, coffee/beverage service, and post-workshop happy hour are included. Ticket cancellations will incur a $15 cancellation fee.
Attend both Professional and Open sessions and save $10 on your registration using discount code “2019-USAW-2DAY”. Attend Professional, Motorized, and Open Sessions and save $20 on your registration using discount code "2019-USAW-FULL"
Participation is limited to those employed in explosive mitigation, such as resort snow safety and ski patrol, DOT, mitigation contractors, explosives manufacturers, Forest Service military weapons personnel, etc.
Friday, November 1st is dedicated to a “closed door”, Pros only session. An explosives handlers clinic will be held from 08:00-10:30. After a morning coffee break, the rest of the day (10:30-3:30) revolves around continuing education and risk management. We will be hosting a social hour from 3:45-4:45.
Pro Session Details:
- Date: Friday, November 1, 2019
- Time: 8:00 AM - 4:45 PM
- Location: Mountain America Expo Center, 9575 State St, Sandy, UT 84070
Closed Door Explosive Handler Workshop (Invitation Only)
- Welcome to the Working Week
- “Avalanches to Order” - Doug Wewer, Starring… Montgomery Atwater
- Basic Explosives Safety - Steve Shelley, ATF
- Transportation Avalanche Research Pool - UDOT
- Heli Bombing Protocols and Procedures - Eric Murikami, Snowbird
- Big Fish… Capturing the Experiences of Avalanche Workers for Future Generations - Andrew Hennigh, PCMR
A Curve Ball Thrown at an Intermountain Snowpack
- Utah Winter Review - Craig Gordon and Trent Meisenheimer, UAC
- Fat Skis, Atmospheric Rivers, and Heightened Avalanche Activity - Brian McInerney
- Dust on Snow. - McKenzie Skiles, U of U
- The Making of Large D4 Avalanches During the 2018/19 Season - John Woodruff, UDOT
- When 10,000 Hours Is Not Enough - Russ Costa, Westminster
- Baldy’s Bowl – Eric Murikami, Snowbird
- A Close Call at Solitude- Ian Reddell
- Near miss! Now what? - Pete Earle, Park City Powder Cats
- Operating at the Edge: Human Performance in Extreme Environments - Laura Maguire, Ohio State University, Graduate Researcher, College of Engineering Cognitive Systems Engineering Lab
- Special Operations Approach: Risk to Force/Mission - Eric Oehlerich, 20+ year retired Navy Officer (SEAL)